Life Style

Everything You Need to Know About Australian Partner Visas

Rules of every country care for your emotions. Immigration departments around the globe make sure that you live along with your partners legally while following all the visa policies; this is the reason they’ve made partner visas.

Just like any other developed nation, Australia has also created specified partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801) policies. Here are some of the things you must know about Australian partner visas.

Eligibility for Australian Partner Visa

To be eligible for a Partner Visa in Australia, you must be married to or a de facto (common law) partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Australia also recognizes interdependent or same-sex partners in this category.

Under this visa, your partner must sponsor you for a period of 2 years. If the relationship continues to be genuine after this time period, you may be eligible for permanent residence.

Application of Australian Partner Visa

In order to apply for the Partner Visa on the basis of marriage, one must be legally married to their Australian partner and sponsor. To apply from outside Australia, one must be legally married (to the sponsoring partner) at the time of application or intend to legally marry him/her before a decision is made on the temporary Partner Visa.

Following proofs (documentations) may be required in addition.

  • Proof of legal marriage and evidence of a mutual commitment and shared life; and
  • Health and character requirements designated by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).
  • De facto partners must show a relationship for 12 months immediately prior to lodging the application.
  • They must also prove their relationship to be genuine and continuing, and that they live together on a permanent basis.

Partner Visa Application Process

It is a two-stage process and one can apply for both temporary and permanent visas in a single application at the same time.

Temporary Partner Visa

When lodging from outside Australia, one must be outside Australia when the temporary visa is granted. On the other hand, when lodging a partner visa application from within Australia, one must be in Australia when the temporary visa is granted. Upon grant of a temporary partner visa, the applicant can:

  • Travel to and from Australia until a decision is made on permanent visa application; and
  • Work in Australia

Permanent Partner Visa

When lodging a partner application from outside Australia, one may be either in or outside Australia when the visa is granted. When lodged from within Australia, one must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

It generally takes at least 2 years to get a permanent partner visa from the date of lodging of the application. However, in certain cases and conditions, it may take less than 2 years. These conditions are:

  • A couple is in a relationship for 5 years or more (as a married or de facto partner); or
  • The couple has been married or in de facto relationship for 2 years and has children.

For detailed information on Australian partner visas and to check your eligibility or to lodge your application, please feel free to get in touch with one of our MARA agents at Asia Pacific Group.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button